What have I done? I wasn't even drunk when I committed to this! I managed to drag myself out of bed at 6am and staggered onto the road at about ten past. My legs were stiff from yesterday's effort which was not helped at all by the fact that it's all uphill from my house. I've decided to do only 3km for now - don't want to go and injure myself by doing too much too soon. So it was a 1km slog up the hill where I stretched my stiff and aching calf muscles, an undulating kilometer followed by another 500m of uphill before emerging back on the road to my house, but in the right direction this time. The plan was to run those last 500m fast seeing as they are downhill. The reality was that my legs felt like jelly and it's hard to run on jelly, even downhill.
There was a time when I wouldn't have bothered to put my running shoes on for 3km - but it's a start.
Weight: 59.8kg - it's going the wrong way!
Weather: Cloudy but pleasant - about 16 degrees C
Distance: 3km
Comments: Legs a bit stiff from yesterday
Don't forget muscle weighs more than fat :-)
ReplyDeleteOne thing I tried when getting back to running (or riding - I'm more of a cyclist than a runner) is to set a distance to cover, irrespective of speed. So if you want to run 5 k regularly, set your 5 k route, and cover it at whatever pace is appropriate. When I've done that, it's generally only take a few outings to get to run the whole distance, but I also don't feel as sore. And it is good on days when you feel lousy to know that you can walk without shame. And if you have hills at the end, you can instigate the punishment of having to do an extra burst up the hill at the end (down then up then down) to get your full exercise :-)