Today I tried to run 5km around my neighbourhood and nearly passed out. The first kilometer was okay but after that it was downhill all the way. Figuratively speaking of course. Literally there was actually quite a lot of uphill which might explain why it hurt so much.
I used to be a runner. I used to be quite fit. I've run 8 Comrades Marathons and I have my Black Belt in Taekwon-do, for goodness sake! I've run the London and New York Marathons, I even came 6th in the marathon in Wroclaw in Poland. But that was then - back in the days when I used to get out of bed at 4:45 every morning to run. Now if I drag myself up at 6:30am for a cup of tea I call that an early start.
My problem is motivation. I used to live in a town where running was very popular and running clubs abounded. There was never a shortage of someone to train with, or a goal to prepare for. Now I seem to have lost that. Although running is popular in Australia it doesn't seem to have the same following and my motivation has dwindled. Running is, for me, a social activity. So drastic measures are called for. I invite anyone who wants to train with me to join me - talk to me - tell me about your training and harangue me about mine.
I hereby undertake to publish my weight, my training and my general thoughts every day in a (possibly feeble) attempt to motivate myself to once again don those trainers and get out there again.
My first goal will be the Canberra Marathon in April 2011. I have been living in Australia for 3 years now and am yet to run a marathon here so that will be my first. Then the Sydney Marathon in Septermber and finally, my ninth Comrades Marathon in South Africa 2012
Now for the embarressing part:
Weight: 59.7kg
Distance: 5km
Weather: Glorious - sun shining, birds squawking, smells of spring in the air.
Comments: slow, painful. Left knee hurt. Walked a lot.
.
No comments:
Post a Comment